Many players we work with are unable to access PS5 games on their PS5 console using the DualSense controller and require alternative devices such as a DualShock 4 controller or an Xbox Adaptive Controller to play. Normally at SpecialEffect we would access consoles with alternative controllers directly using adapters (such as the Titan Two), but this is not currently possible for many PS5 games, which require a DualSense controller to be used to play.
*Update 21.7.23 There have recently been a couple of equipment options made available that do allow players to play PlayStation 5 games on the console using alternative controllers, without using PS Remote Play. Find out more, here: https://gameaccess.info/playstation-5-access-with-cronus-zen-titan-two-daisy-chain/
This post will show you how to control your PS5 via a PC using the PS Remote Play app enabling you to use a preferred controller or combined controllers not supported by the PS5 directly, to play PS5 games.
The PS Remote Play app communicates from your PC to your PS5 over Wi-Fi. We will use a Titan Two device connected to the PC to enable alternative and additional controllers to be used. To use just a DualShock 4 controller, you will not need the Titan Two as it is natively supported by the PS Remote Play app when connected to the PC using a USB cable. This post has a corresponding post for using a similar set up without using a Titan Two device and using reWASD software instead: https://gameaccess.info/ps5-games-with-alternative-controllers–ps-remote-play-x-rewasd/
Whilst the PS Remote Play app was created to allow you to stream your PlayStation console to your PC screen, you can still play using your PS5’s connected TV screen as normal. Please note, the PS Remote Play app relies on a stable Wi-Fi connection. However, the software is free so you can test how it runs.
The information in this post is correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of writing (December 2021). Thanks to Barrie for discovering and sharing how to play PS5 games this way.
Step 1. Set up your PS5 Console
- From the Home Screen, select Settings>System>Remote Play>Enable Remote Play (move slider to right).
The video below shows these steps:
Step 2. Install and Test Run PS Remote Play App
- Install PS Remote Play software from https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/lang/en/index.html
- Select Control your PS5 console from a Windows PC and scroll down to select a tick box and then select Download.
- Open the PS Remote Play app on PC.
- You can lower the resolution to 360p via the settings cog icon to save bandwidth as we are using PS5’s TV not PC stream to view the game.
- Select the console name (on the blue button) that you would like to connect to (first-time connection can take a few minutes).
- Once connected, a message will appear on the PS5 screen. At this point, a DualShock 4 controller will be supported to play PS5 games when connected to your PC via a USB cable. See step 3 below for how to connect additional and alternative controllers.
The video below shows these steps:
Step 3. Titan Two Setup
- Install Gtuner IV software onto a PC to update and change settings on your Titan Two device: https://www.consoletuner.com/downloads/
- Once installed, connect your Titan Two to your PC using the Prog USB port on the back of the Titan Two.
- Open Gtuner and navigate to Device Configuration tab and select to use PS4 USB protocol. Exiting Gtuner saves this setting to the Titan Two. This step is shown in the video below:
Step 4. Run PS Remote Play and Use Controllers with Titan Two
- Connect the Titan Two to your PC using the Output USB port on the back of the Titan Two.
- Connect your controllers to the USB slots on the front of the Titan Two.
- Open the PS Remote Play app on your PC.
- Select the console you would like to connect to in the app.
- Once connected a message will appear on the PS5 screen and the console will stream to the PS Remote Play window on your PC. Your controllers should now work via the PC to control games on your PS5 console.
An example of a controller setup using PS Remote Play and a Titan Two with a DualShock 4 controller and an Xbox Adaptive Controller to play PS5 games on a PS5 console:
We hope this post is useful in enabling you to try out this method of playing PS5 games with alternative controllers. For more information on alternative input devices for playing video games, use the Hardware and Software categories filters on the GameAccess.info website: